In this blog post, we have transcribed the UCDP interview with Ed French in written format. You can listen to the original podcast here.
You don’t have time for BS, let alone another vendor-sponsored podcast. You need actionable insights from people who understand your business inside and out.
Welcome to the Used Car Dealer Podcast.
Hosted by industry veterans Zach Klempf and Steve McClory, Used Car Dealer Podcast is the ONLY show that’s 100% focused on YOU.
No sales pitches. No vendors-sponsored content. Just authentic, straight-to-the-point advice for used car dealers.
In each episode, Zach and Steve share tips on how to supercharge your business. You’ll hear interviews with industry experts, hot debates, and must-have news from across the industry.
Whether you’re in sales, F&I, management, or you run the whole show, you’ll love the Used Car Dealer Podcast. Subscribe today anywhere you listen to podcasts.
October 14, 2020
In episode #15 Zach has an in-depth interview with Senior Economist at Cox Automotive Charlie Chesbrough, they discuss hot topics like:
1) What does an economist do and how does one become an economist at Cox Automotive
2) Charlie's perspective on the economy from March to present (auto-focused)
3) Wholesale prices on used inventory and impact of manufacturers stopping production earlier in the year
4) 84-month interest rates and stimulus-driven automotive marketplace
5) Online auto retailers and automotive subscription model
6) Discussion on futures and EV vehicles
October 5, 2020
In this episode, Zach interviews Ed French and we discuss the following:
1. We discuss the changes from March/April when COVID-19 first started to take mindshare to now as well as the concept of MWBA
2. Inventory management is a hot topic in today’s marketplace; what should dealer operators be doing to set themselves up for success in sourcing inventory in today’s marketplace?
3. Many used car dealers are running with smaller teams and furloughed or fired employees during the pandemic. Owners and operators have had to make tough decisions; what advice from the management perspective do you have for operators during the pandemic, and as we finish off the rest of the year?
4. When most used car dealers think of the word “capital,” they think of the funding needed to acquire inventory and run the business. There’s also human capital, and in an industry where there’s historically very high turnover, what is the importance of human capital when it comes to a dealership?
5. Why should/or shouldn’t a used car dealer operator consider a service component to their business model? (More so Pro’s/Cons)
August 28, 2020
In this episode Zach and Steve interview Dale Pollack who's the Founder of vAuto which is one of the most well-known inventory management products in the industry.
Dale's career in the automotive industry spans more than two decades. As a former dealer, technology entrepreneur and best-selling author, Pollak has helped over 10,000 automotive dealers in North America make dramatic improvements in their new and used vehicle operations.
August 6, 2020
Zach interviews Bob Hollenshead, the largest independent wholesale operator in North America and an automotive serial entrepreneur. Bob has deep expertise in the used marketplace as it relates to wholesale and auctions. His data companies have also powered some of the leading trade applications including TrueCar Trade and Autotrader.ca.
In this episode Steve and Zach revisit Carvana (Episode #2) post-COVID-19 and discuss the following:
1) Carvana at $20B market cap, Vroom IPO, and disruption
2) Steve's experience w/ Carvana
3) Digital Retail for used car dealers and sourcing inventory
4) Where do we go from here?
Like, Subscribe and keep fighting the good fight!
June 16, 2020
In this episode, Zach interviews serial entrepreneur Matt Watson. Matt was the Co-Founder and CTO of Vin Solutions CRM which was an automotive SaaS company he bootstrapped and sold for over $135M to Cox Automotive.
May 12, 2020
In this episode, Zach interviews Andrew Gordon, who's the founder of DealerScience which was a digital retail product acquired by TrueCar (Nasdaq: TRUE)in December 2018. Andrew discusses digital retail as well as his journey as an entrepreneur in automotive software.
May 5, 2020
In this episode, Steve and Zach discuss topics top of mind for dealers selling through the COVID-19 marketplace including inventory management, software, changing messaging for COVID-19, and more!
April 15, 2020
The guest for episode #7 is Steve Greenfield, the Founder & Ceo of Automotive Ventures. Steve has over 20 years in the automotive retail/software space and has overseen over $1B in acquisitions in auto software including vAuto and Vin Solutions.
March 24, 2020
In episode #6 Zach and Steve have a dynamic conversation with Cox Automotive's Director, Enterprise Dealer Partnerships (EDP) Sales Strategy Amardeep Kumar. Amardeep shares his story of how he got into the automotive industry as well as his thoughts on digital retail, used cars, and recommendations for dealers to whether the COVID-19 economy of today's market.
March 18, 2020
In episode #5 we have a special and timely episode on COVID-19 aka Corona Virus and our thoughts on what dealers can do in these times and commentary on our experience of the COVID-19 virus while out in Asia earlier this year.
January 9, 2020
In this episode, Zach and Steve discuss some of the trends from 2019 including digital retail and Facebook marketplace. Steve also gives his perspective on inventory management and benchmarking in 2020 and beyond.
October 14, 2019
One on one interview with Tom Hampton who is a 3rd generation car guy. Tom has been going independent dealer to independent dealer with his team in Texas and has logged over 50,000 hours with his team over the last 13 years.
September 20, 2019
The second episode of the Used Car Dealer Podcast featuring Zach Klempf and Steve McClory; the only podcast out there for used car dealers!
Key topics from this episode include:
1) Introduction to Carvana
2) What does Carvana mean for used car dealers
3) How can dealers combat Carvana
4) Digital Retail
August 30, 2019
The first episode of the Used Car Dealer Podcast featuring Zach Klempf and Steve McClory; the only podcast out there for used car dealers!
The podcast is vendor-free and sale pitch free on principal. Whether you're a salesperson, f&i manager, gm/owner, we want you to have actional takeaways from this podcast.
Key topics from this episode include:
1) Introduction to Steve and Zach
2) Buying Software for your Dealership - Pitfalls to avoid
3) Should I invest in Inventory Management Software?